Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Newtown townhouses

We've now finished the two townhouses in Newtown which we blogged about earlier.

Framing up unit 9


Getting the building wrap on - unit 8 then 9

Unit 9 then 8

Internal guttering on the roof

Top floor bathroom - unit 8

Downstairs bedroom - unit 8

Cantilevered deck
Cantilevered deck

Outside unit 8

Units 8 and 9

Monday, May 7, 2012

Wadestown - doors moved April 2012

The homeowners wanted their French doors moved over for better flow and access.

Unfortunately we don't have the before photos because "somebody" forgot to take them so you just have to imagine where it was from the obvious place on the wall!

For this job we moved the doors, framed up the old opening, fitted new skirtings and architraves.

With renovations or work on old houses there are often hidden surprises.  In this job we took out the doors and built a new frame.  When we went to fit the doors we discovered that one door had been planed (where the timber is shaved off) on a angle to fit the previous frame (which had also been packed out).  This wasn't obvious until we installed the doors in the new frames because it was so minor, but in building a few millimetres can make a difference and it would not have fitted on the frame so we had to plane both doors so they were square, true and the same size. 

Whoever fit the doors the last time should have made sure that the frame was plumb and level rather than doing something to the doors.  This goes to show that quick fixes often work out more expensive in the long run!

Door moved from the right to the left

 In this shot the door was on the left by the stairs but has been moved to the right

Kilbirnie bungalow

One of our most recent jobs was fixing considerable damage to a bungalow.  The original call was to fix a leaky window which was poorly installed and once we started taking it apart we discovered the years of water damage had completely rotted out the entire front of the bedroom.  We reframed and made the wall structurally sound, replaced the weather boards, replaced the windows and frames, boxed corners, repaired and refitted the original bungalow false rafters on the outisde.

Things didn't look too bad to start with...

Until we started to take it apart and then it wasn't looking so good

Taking off all the old stuff

 New gib and new windows

New weatherboard and new boxed corners

All fresh and like new!

Completed house from the side

Completed house from the front

Lovely new paint job inside - much drier and warmer than before!

Thorndon villa

We did a range of jobs on this villa - mostly a lot of hardware, a deck, bench seat and a range hood.

Deck and stairs


Bench seat with lift up top so you can put things inside.

Cantilevered kitchen bench - to do this we had to bolt brackets to the joists.  It's a little hard to see but if you look closely you can see how the front is hanging - the back is up a step.

In this picture you can see how the floor level is higher on the left than the right side (that's the floor on the right below the window seat) because of the cantilevering.

The silver part in the middle is the range hood which we suspended.

This picture shows the suspended range hood.  To do this we suspended the cabinet and range hood with threaded rods hidden in the stainless steel tubing and bolted to the rafters so it would hold up the cabinet and range hood.

View from the front

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Current jobs

We've always got a couple of jobs on the go at once, but the biggest job we have at the moment is a total renovation of an an villa in front of the town houses we built. 

We've really had to cut out all the pies and McDonalds so we can fit in because the villa is only 36cm at one end and 39cm at the other, away from the house next door (they aren't typos!).  We've taken off the bottom framing (the old framing a 4.7cm bow in it) and put new rab board (what goes under the cladding) then new corrugated iron cladding on that.

Inside we've taken off rotten floor boards, framed up the house, relined, framed up windows, replaced weather boards - pretty much everything!


 Jacking up the floor

 Ben removing floor boards

We even built a cute picket fence!