Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Monday, March 5, 2012

Licensed Building Practitioner Scheme

This month it became law that only Licensed Building Practitioners can undertake certain work (called "restricted work") on your home. Most work that requires a building consent is restricted work - it is the things that are critical to the integrity of a building.

There are different categories of the license, such as external plastering, architects and roofers. Andrew has the carpentry license class. Ben is still doing his apprenticeship which means he can undertake restricted work but it must be supervised and signed off by Andrew.

It is now illegal for an unlicensed person to carry out or supervise restricted building work so it is very important to check if something is restricted before you start any work on your house.

There is more information on the Department of Building and Housing website.